Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare - ps
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:59:56 -0600
On 2/11/07, Charles R. Buchanan <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So to end this, the market share is out there for the taking, just have
to solve these irritants IMO. With that said, SuSe has come the closest
to bridging that gap. They just have a ways to go in my opinion.

I agree, "linux" has a way to go. I also agree that SUSE is getting
close. But IMHO the biggest obstacle currently (or the item that would
speed progress the most) is to have pre-installation agreements with
major hardware vendors.

*MOST* windows users don't interact with installation in anyway ...
nor should they have to with linux. If the hardware is explicity
supported by the OEM then most issues go away.

having said that, I still think there are a variety of things (some
small, some more to do with process, some major like DVD licensing)
that need to be addressed. I wish there was a wiki somewhere that a
list of these things could be posted/maintained/argued about and where
Novell would pay some attention to it. I would think that the "better
desktop initiative" would want that kind of involvement.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels

I'm curious, what is the source of this quote?

peter