Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:18:18 -0600
John E. Perry wrote:

> As others have mentioned, you shouldn't be updating for all the bleeding
> edge stuff unless you really have the knowledge to clean up after
> someone else's mistakes or oversights.

I set up the source in question to update the kernel. All other updates
have generally been from packman or guru. The rest from the SuSE oss and
nonoss sites when packman and guru updates/installs were not available.
When doing something I ALWAYS check the source [ version tab ] in Yast2
before I do anything. I try to stay as far as I can from the bleeding
edge. If anyone has a better source for the kernel update I would be
happy to use it rather than the one I have.

As far as I know I DON'T have Gnome installed. Except for those bits
needed to make Gramps and Gftp [ and possibly the Mozilla stuff ] work.
Those were the only ones that asked to have something from Gnome
installed as a dependency. NOW I'm getting TONS of Gnome conflicts with
KDE stuff. I found out last night that K3b had been uninstalled for some
reason, and when I was trying to set up my network connection to move
some stuff off this morning I found out that Samba wasn't installed
anymore. I don't know when or why they disappeared. I certainly didn't
authorize it. I don't know what else might be messed up. [ I don't seem
to have Kmediamanager either. ]

Why would a KDE [ lets just say Knetworkmanager for instance - not that
that's one of the problem ones ] update generate a ton of Gnome
conflicts if I only have KDE Desktop installed? Why would the conflicts
want to delete everything from alpha bits to zebras to correct the conflict?

Time to blow the system and start over I think.

--
(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh