Re: [opensuse] 10.2 is turning into a nightmare
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:28:00 -0500
Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> As far as I know I only use four apps that require Gnome. Firefox,
> Thunderbird, Gftp and Gramps. Well, maybe five if you include Sunbird.

I don't have Gnome installed, and I run Firefox and Thunderbird without
problem -- I've read somewhere that KDE and Gnome have been updated to
play nice together, so you don't normally need to install one to use its
programs under the other. But I don't use Gftp, gramps, or Sunbird, so
I can't say anything about them.

> ... I can't even get my openSuSE install DVD out of the
> drive because it says I don't have Kmediamanager running. Pushing the
> eject button on the drive does nothing because SOMETHING has it locked.
> I can't "unmount" the drive. I guess I'm going to have to resort to the
> paper clip method to open the drive tray.

Well, I run 6 desktops, and I've found that when I can't unmount or
eject a drive, it means that some program on one of them has it open --
for instance, I will have cd'd to the drive in one of my dozen or more
konsole tabs and forgotten about it, or one of my konqueror invocations
has it displayed in one of its tabs. Once I've found and fixed that,
the eject goes smoothly.

> The hell of it is that I was just getting this thing to work pretty
> good.

As others have mentioned, you shouldn't be updating for all the bleeding
edge stuff unless you really have the knowledge to clean up after
someone else's mistakes or oversights. I had been following this list
and had gotten the impression that the more update sites I had, the
better off I was, so every time I saw a new one I put it into my yast
site list. I had a dozen or so sites, and a continual update mess.
After I came across the "less is better for non-gurus" comment, I
reinstalled 10.0 with just suse and packman for updating, and the whole
thing behaved nicely (until the zen disaster with 10.1). With 10.2, I
even dumped packman, since I don't really need mplayer for the little
multimedia stuff I deal with. I don't seem to have any use for the
other stuff packman has beyond opensuse's resources.

Since then, I've been quite comfortable with suse, and updates have gone
smoothly for the most part. On the rare occasions that zen has
misbehaved, I fire up YOU, and that seems to clear up even zen's messes.

--

John Perry