Re: [opensuse] LILO/Grub Problem Solved Clarification
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 22:56:39 -0600
On Friday 09 February 2007 22:13, Bob S wrote:
> One of the reasons I did not use Grub in the
> past was that I didn't understand how it worked.
That is usually the main reason most new things are left untried... the
positive way to put it is that most of us use what we know and are
comfortable with...

> When using Lilo it edited the MBR, correct?  What is happening now when
> using Grub? What is in the MBR now? It doesn't change? Does the MBR now
> refer the boot process to Menu.1st?
Phase #1 resides in the MBR, and contains just enough to load phase #2.

The cool thing is that grub knows how to read the file system(s) before the
system is booted... so it can find all of phase #2 on the drive under /boot.
The menu is built on-the-fly from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file (located on
the filesystem) and not written to the MBR. (lilo configuration is contained
on the mbr... so lilo.conf is used when the mbr is written) Because the
config for grub is *not* written to the mbr it can be changed dynamically on
bootup (from the grub command menu). Also, changes to the menu configuration
(menu.lst) are read at bootup from /boot/grub/menu.lst so the mbr does not
have to be written when changes are made to the menu.lst file.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><