Re: [opensuse] LILO/Grub Problem
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 01:00:26 -0600
On 2007-02-03 18:31, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Bob S wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 03 February 2007 02:27, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
>>

>>> Add this to this file.
>>>
>>> ### Added 10.0 Boot ###
>>> title openSUSE 10.0
>>> root (hd1,2)
>>> kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb3 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/hdb2 splash=silent showopts
>>> initrd (hd1,0)/initrd
>>>

> Sorry, watch the wrapping. Perhaps some explanation of the above will
> help. [Note, i changed a few items above from original try]. root is
> for grub to find the root of the OS (I originally thought it needed to
> be the boot partition). I forgot since I have not had a separate boot
> for some years. Kernel like is to load the kernel image. Here I added

"Root" in grub most certainly is the location of the kernel, ie. of
/boot. I assume the (hd1,0) is correct. Using that method to specify the
kernel and initrd locations, the "root" command is quite unnecessary.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells