Re: [opensuse] looking for an application I can syncronize two suse boxes?
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:04:15 -0900
On Saturday 03 February 2007, Afan Pasalic wrote:
> hi,
> I have two "storage" computers (suse 10.0 and 10.2) and I keep on them
> my files I share on home network. Now, I'm looking for an application
> that I can sync content of specific folders on each boxes.
> Any recommendation?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> -afan

unison

Its secure, its intelligent, its easy to set up,
there are packages for it in opensuse.

All transfers are done via ssh.
It can selectively skip certain files or types.
It preserves permissions to the extent possible.
Its bi-directional, unlike rsync, with intelligent conflict detection.

You can schedule it via cron, or run it manually, either
at the CLI or via the GUI.

It even supports windows boxes.

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

--