[opensuse] Novell Please make Bugzilla for OpenSuse really Open.
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:49:29 -0900
I's like to suggest that bugs related to openSuse be made available
to the internet as a whole by allowing them to be crawled and indexed
by google, yahoo, and any other search engines that want them.

There is a lot of good information, including solutions to problems
that appear in the bugzilla data base that can not be found on
google simply because google is not allowed to crawl Novell's
bugzilla.

A google search like this:
unable to burn dvd k3b
does not show Bug 242009, or ANY other results from Novell's
bugzilla even though a bugzilla search will show 87 hits.

Searching with google's site specific search will always show
results like:
Your search - dvd k3b site:bugzilla.novell.com - did not match any documents.

I don't think an "open" distribution should require searching in a specific place.
Bugzilla itself has limited search capabilities when compared to google.
Bugs frequently have relevance beyond a specific distro.

Note:---
I realize that the Novell Bugzilla also contains bugs related to proprietary
packages and confidential bugs. However it would seem that a script
could echo all non proprietary bugs to another server, (or simply build a
page of links such that the crawlers could find them).

--
John Andersen