Re: [opensuse] Memory Stick Mounting
  • From: Aveek Bhattacharya <aveekbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 00:21:45 +0530
ka1ifq wrote:
> So I am back to my original question, is there anyway to force a look at the
> usb ports to discover new devices?
>
> Thanks, Mike

This is a little long, I ask for your patience and forgiveness!

Are you sure the device has not been discovered by the kernel? The HAL
mount may be the one taking time.

Try this:
Run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' (in a shell), then insert your memory
stick. See how long before it shows up in the log (which will be
constantly updated on the screen).

A line like this:

Feb 3 23:44:58 Aveekbh kernel: usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using
ehci_hcd and address 21

means that some USB device has been detected, and the lines

Feb 3 23:44:59 Aveekbh kernel: SCSI device sda: 312581808 512-byte hdwr
sectors (160042 MB)

Feb 3 23:44:59 Aveekbh kernel: sda: sda1 sda2 < sda5 >

indicate the device has been detected.

Once this is done, the device must be mounted, which is done by the HAL
backend of your desktop environment. (AFAIK, this is basically the same
in 10.1 and 10.2.)

If the second process is taking time, you could mount it manually. In
fact, I suggest you let the device be mounted automatically, then
unmount it, and let it sit for a while (a few min). Then, mount it
manually, and check how long it takes.

This might help you find out where to look for a remedy. If it is the
first, then it is a hotplug issue. (I'm not quite sure what the second
would imply.)

--
Regards,
Aveek Bhattacharya