Re: [opensuse] Fact or Fiction? Possible Novell Ban
  • From: "George Stoianov" <gstoyanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:25:33 -0500
On 2/3/07, James Montgomery <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This morning on Slashdot I read an article discussing the possibility of Novell being banned from distributing linux.

Here is an excerpt:

Reuters is reporting that Novell may be banned from selling Linux. In the wake of the (much maligned) Novell/Microsoft deal, the Free Software Foundation is reviewing Novell's right to sell the operating system at all. The foundation controls the rights to key parts of the operating system, and council for the organization said that 'the community wants to interfere any way it can' with the Novell business arrangement. No decision has yet been reached, but one should be made in the next two weeks." Is this a measured response, or an over-reaction to the Novell/Microsoft arrangement?

Link to full story:
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/03/0921201&from=rss

A guy from the FSF had a comment on this as the person from Reuters
had presented the interview in a light different from what he intended
... namely FSFis looking at publishing GPL 3 and putting text in it to
stop companies from doing what Novell and MS did. It has not been
voted yet and the kernel group is in favor of V2 anyway. I saw the
link on linuxtoday.com cannot find it now.

I cannot speculate what that means to opensuse...

My question is, will this effect OpenSuSE, and if so, how?

Cheers,

James