[opensuse] Fact or Fiction? Possible Novell Ban
  • From: "James Montgomery" <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 11:08:08 -0500
This morning on Slashdot I read an article discussing the possibility of Novell being banned from distributing linux.

Here is an excerpt:

Reuters is reporting that Novell may be banned from selling Linux. In the wake of the (much maligned) Novell/Microsoft deal, the Free Software Foundation is reviewing Novell's right to sell the operating system at all. The foundation controls the rights to key parts of the operating system, and council for the organization said that 'the community wants to interfere any way it can' with the Novell business arrangement. No decision has yet been reached, but one should be made in the next two weeks." Is this a measured response, or an over-reaction to the Novell/Microsoft arrangement?

Link to full story:
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/03/0921201&from=rss

My question is, will this effect OpenSuSE, and if so, how?

Cheers,

James