Re: [opensuse] Switching keyboard layouts
  • From: "Mark Goldstein" <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:57:33 +0200
Thanks for the reply, I've added the line in xorg.conf(/etc/X11, yes?),
but it didn't help. I guess my windows keys are not recognized by the
system, because when I tried manually to change Alt+Ctrl+K key sequence
from Keyboard Shortcuts in Control Center to windows key, nothing
happened when I hit it.

From Sax2, I've seen that my keyboard's model is recognized as "Generic
pc104", if I recall correctly the part with "Generic". But my keyboard
is not that. Maybe the problem is in that?

I liked the idea of Windows key, but since that doesn't work, what that
line should be to use Alt+Shift?

Sergey,

Yes, it's in /etc/X11.

If I remember correctly XkbVariant option "winkyes" enables Windows keys.

So you can add the line:
Option "XkbVariant" "winkeys"

at the end of InputDevice section.

In my current version I have
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbVariant" "xfree86"

And it enables both Windows keys and some additional keys (like volume
up/down, power off).

As for Alt-Shift, the option would be:

Option "XkbOptions" "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

You can also specify whether you want only left or right ALT-SHIFT to
switch layout.

I never remember exact format. I usually do it from SaX2 and then edit
it to get exactly what I want.

Regards,
--
Mark Goldstein