Re: [opensuse] Switching keyboard layouts
  • From: "Mark Goldstein" <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:34:48 +0200
On 2/3/07, Mark Goldstein <goldstein.mark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/3/07, Sergey Mkrtchyan <crusoe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> What I want is to be able to switch different keyboard layouts by
> shortcut keys. Currently I have three layouts(english, russian and
> armenian). The default, which I can see in Keyboard Shortcuts section in
> Control Center is Alt+Ctrl+k, but when I use it and it successfully
> switches to russian layout, then it doesn't work for russian-armenian
> switching. I guess that being russian it's not Alt+Ctrl+k anymore.
>
> So, I've added alternate shortcut, for russian Alt+Ctrl+k key sequence,
> but it doesn't seem to be a solution, because then how do I switch from
> armenian back to english.
>
> I've also played with the xkb Options(though not knowing what it is, but
> it doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for).
>
> Am I missing something?

Hi Sergey,

I also have 3 different layouts, but I'm using "Window" key to switch
them (it is independent from current layout). Some years back I used
ALT-SHIFT to switch as well, but then decided that it could be nice to
make Windows do at least something useful :-).
My current version is 10.2 but it was the same in 10.0. This is a line
from InputDevice section of xorg.conf:

Option "XkbOptions" "grp:rwin_toggle,grp:lwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

(that is I want that both left and right window key will switch layout
and I want Scroll LED to indicate alternative layout"

I made it from SOX2, but in 10.0 you can safely do it manually (in
10.2 you'll need to re-calculate md5 checksum for xorg.conf if you
edit it manually).

Sorry, forgotten to mention that this is switching on X-level rather
than KDE. I tried doing it in KDE (do not remember whether it was SuSE
10.0 or 9.something), but somehow the result was disappointing. One
advantage of KDE mechanism is that it allows switching per application
or per window, but since it did not work well for me, I reverted for X
mechanism.

Regards,
--
Mark Goldstein