Re: [opensuse] device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 17:56:30 -0500
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 18:57 -0800, Charles R. Buchanan wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:01:39 -0500, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx> took time to say the following:
>

> (^_^)> I know it's hard to keep track of everything in this convoluted thread,
> (^_^)> Mike :-) but at some point I distinctly recall Charles mentioning he was
> (^_^)> doing a restore or recovery of the XP installation. I'm pretty sure a 'back
> (^_^)> to factory' recovery would overwrite grub.
> (^_^)
> (^_^) Yes it would, someone suggested a nice simple how-to to fix the mbr
> (^_^)from the rescue console. That would be nice. However I think your
> (^_^)mining along the vein of writing to the MBR is probably fruitful. So if
> (^_^)I could ask a question of the OP, did you have grub write to the MBR
> (^_^)since you restored your XP? The system booting directly into XP would
> (^_^)seem to indicate that you didn't.
> (^_^)
> (^_^) Carl - What do you think of the idea of having the XP bootloader
> (^_^)handle booting instead of Grub? There are reasonably simple
> (^_^)instructions for editing the required files in XP as well as how to get
> (^_^)file(s) he will need to copy over to his XP root partition.
> (^_^)
> (^_^) Mike
>
> I am pretty slow, but sometimes I pick things up if I see them used more
> than once! (referring to "OP" which i am assuming means original poster?)
> Anyway, yes, I had it checked to write to the MBR and nothing happened.
> To your original remarks earlier, it is true that XP won't automatically
> repair or revert the MBR to a before linux state. You have to do that
> manually or via a install.

As far as I know, it won't, but I'm not an MS Guru. Someone mentioned
Norton Anti Virus (and IIRC McAffee) might have auto-repaired the boot
sector thinking it might have been changed due to virus activity. I do
remember having this "fixed" for me a few times before finding the
setting to not "fix" it. Let me clarify one thing, you did the Grub
install and then re-booted, and it went into XP without showing the Grub
menu, correct?

> Carl is correct, it was a strict recovery because the MBR was totally
> hosed.

Noted.