Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:05:23 +0000
Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> /usr/lib/cron/run-crons uses temporary files to cache the output from
>>> the scripts that it runs. I've hacked it so it doesn't delete them
>>> afterwards. Tomorrow morning, I should be able to see exactly what was
>>> produced by the scripts before it gets mangled by the mail system.
>> That would be very interesting to know. Please post your findings
>> tomorrow. (^-^)
>
> I messed up the hack (there was another rm command I didn't notice) so
> we'll have to wait another day. Stay tuned.

It's obstinate and tricky! It took me ages to find all the rm statements
and control variables and arrange for it to keep the files. But I've
done that now.

Sadly, or perhaps gladly, I still don't have the evidence. My overnight
backup job has gone back to reporting it's output as plain text :) It
may be because of something else I found.

Two days ago, I happened to spot that root on that machine has
LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8
I wondered if that might have anything to do with my problem, and I
added explicit LC_CTYPE=C statements in the cron/backup scripts. The
next backup run produced plain text, so I thought I'd solved it. So I
took my LC_CTYPE=C statements out again in order to prove that was the
factor. But this morning the log is still plain text! So I'm still confused.

Cheers, Dave