Re: [opensuse] Battery expecntancy
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 23:38:22 -0600
On Thursday 01 February 2007 23:21, Mark Panen wrote:
> I bought
> a new one on Monday and it is supposed to get up to 4 hours but i only
> get 1 hour 40 minutes. I have charged and discharged the battery a
> couple of times.
The time you are getting is 'bout normal...

... there are many things you can do to cut back on the current drain.
1) reduce the cpu operating frequency (bios) if your unit allows for this
2) reduce the up-time of the hd drive motor (timer)
3) reduce the brightness of the lcd, and up-time of the monitor (timer)
4) turn of peripherals when not used... including wan, wifi, modems, etc
5) set a suspend timer
6) suspend instead of booting
7) set lcd to power down (timer) instead of running a screen saver

You may need to fully cycle (charge-discharge) your new battery several times
before you will see optimum performance.

I have never had more than 2.5 hours from my laptop (ThinkPad R30) under
optimal loading. Obviously this is completely subjective.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><