Re: [opensuse] device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:01:39 -0500
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 20:30 -0500, Carl Hartung wrote:
> On Thu February 1 2007 19:30, Mike McMullin wrote:
> > I have installed three separate Linux Distro's and neither time has my
> > XP-SP2-Home edition "repaired" the boot loader.
>
> I know it's hard to keep track of everything in this convoluted thread,
> Mike :-) but at some point I distinctly recall Charles mentioning he was
> doing a restore or recovery of the XP installation. I'm pretty sure a 'back
> to factory' recovery would overwrite grub.

Yes it would, someone suggested a nice simple how-to to fix the mbr
from the rescue console. That would be nice. However I think your
mining along the vein of writing to the MBR is probably fruitful. So if
I could ask a question of the OP, did you have grub write to the MBR
since you restored your XP? The system booting directly into XP would
seem to indicate that you didn't.

Carl - What do you think of the idea of having the XP bootloader
handle booting instead of Grub? There are reasonably simple
instructions for editing the required files in XP as well as how to get
file(s) he will need to copy over to his XP root partition.

Mike