Re: [opensuse] Still trying to get DVD to work
  • From: russbucket <russbucket@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:11:51 -0800
On Thursday February 1 2007 13:53, Niels Østergaard Kjær wrote:
> Teruel de Campo MD wrote:
> > In my case the dvd's are seen as /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 under SuSE 10.2.
> > Under 10.1 were /dev/hdc /dev/hdd.
> > I was able to watch a commercial dvd, listen to a cd but not able to
> > copy dvd or burn anything into a dvd.
> >
> > In summary your and mine experience have one thing in common. Both were
> > able to use dvd under 10.1 and with all the changes in 10.2 this is not
> > possible any more.

> > -=terry(Denver)=-

> >> Yast was always able to read the DVD. That is not the problem. The
> >> problem is that hal cannot, therefore the DVD cannot be accessed by any
> >> other program EXCEPT Yast.
> >>
> >> halmount (a tool provided by the optional package ivman) does not
> >> see /dev/hdc which indicates to me that hal cannot see the DVD and
> >> therefore cannot mount it.
> >>
> >> # halmount --listudi
> >> /dev/hdd3
> >> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_fa37d0d7_3083_4c51_bdee_a20018f
> >>d0983 /dev/hdd1
> >> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_e23f8a69_2ab3_4361_8624_89b1499
> >>b5340 /dev/hdb1 /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_98DD_ECE1
> >> /dev/hda4
> >> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_72e4802f_4a0f_40bb_8c4e_79ba26f
> >>cec13 /dev/hda3
> >> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_40d53b82_8769_4aac_a099_0572e8d
> >>10e40 /dev/hda1
> >> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/volume_uuid_1b7a873a_1247_4894_a892_a9850a2
> >>7c316
> >>
> >> (hdd is the 10.2 drive, hda is 9.1 and hdc isn't listed, which is the
> >> problem!)
> >>
> >> # lshal -s
> >> <snip>
> >> storage_model_DVD_RW_IDE1108
> >> volume_part_1_size_3525214208
> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> So, that says that not only does the system see the DVD drive, it sees
> >> the media inserted in it but the #@!^% system won't do anything with
> >> it!!!!
> >>
> >> I still think hal in 10.2 has a giant goddamn bug and it makes the
> >> system unusable to me.
> >>
> >> Fred
>
> Ah yes got the same here. At least DVD with media already on it works
> ok now.
>
> This thread has been running for maybe too long without any useful
> solutions.
>
> I would like to know if any on this list is able to burn a blank DVD or
> see an emty DVD-rom in konqueror media ?? (must be more than 3 people
> having this problem ???

I just put a blank dvd-RW in drive, it brought up the blank dvd icon, tryed
to look at it with knoqueror but but could not open it. Then I used k3b and
burned a data dvd with a kmymoney file. After successful burn, it ejected
mounted icon closed. I then put the dvd back in and mounted icon appeared,
konqueror opened and file was on dvd. This was also first time k3bsetup ran
correctly. I had mount problems before hal updates and
creating /media/dvdrecorder since it was not created during OS install. I
don't have any audio dvds or movies, but audio cd's read fine in the drive
also.

I have openSUSE 10.2, latest updates, etc.

I've sent everything I did to list and also tried alot of things before it
just started working after thetwo items mentioned above.

--
Russ