Re: [opensuse] ssh problem from remote LAN
From: "Carl Hartung" <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue January 30 2007 13:28, James D. Parra wrote:
Hello,

Set up a SLES 10 server and although I can ssh to it from any box on the
local LAN I can't get to it from a remote LAN even though I can ssh to any
other box on the local LAN via ssh.
<snip>

Hi James,

After mulling your post over since yesterday, the thought occurred to me that
you might be troubleshooting the wrong device. Is it possible the router
connecting the local LAN to the Internet has previously been configured to
enable port-forwarding to the other clients?

regards,

Carl

I thought about that too. But, if the router is providing NAT for the LAN, then it doesn't make sense that it (a simple router) would be able to configure port forwarding of an incoming ssh requrest to multiple clients behing the router. Generally, the router will only port forward requests to a single machine on the LAN side. My question would be how is the router configured and how is James ssh'ing to the other machines on the LAN across the router.

My initial thoughts on the problem were a misconfigured /etc/ssh/sshd_conf; a non-running sshd on the SLES machine; or a problem with the /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny setup.

HTH.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street