  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 00:23:20 -0600
On Thursday 01 February 2007 00:02, Pascal Bleser wrote:
> The problem are the software patents in the first place. Many of them
> are so vague that they apply to lots of pieces of software that have
> been written by people who never saw those patents and started from
> scratch.
Which is *why* many of us are pontificating, "SOFTWARE PATENTS ARE EVIL".

Depends on our definition of "obvious". If I start from scratch and write an
algorithm capable of decoding an mp3 file I have done *nothing* different
that writing an algorithm (text editor) that can decode a series of symbols
(text) for displaying on a screen. One is called obvious and the other is
called patentable... hogwash. The mp3 standard should not have a patent, nor
should there be any licensing issues with *any* software based mp3 player.

Software patents must die... end of story. (We have to change this folks)

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><