Re: [opensuse] Interesting Boot Problem
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:32:48 -0600
On 2007-01-31 18:43, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> On 2007-01-31 18:03, Stuart Knock wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>> searching has left me with the impression that I should be able to
>> force the physical
>> devices (some sort of BIOS naming) to map to a static logical device
>> (sda...), ....
>>
> I think this can only be handled in the BIOS itself, probably in the
> boot order settings. Make sure your primary is set as the first boot
> device. You probably don't want the RAID array mapped as a possible boot
> device (not sure, I don't use RAID here, so could be wrong).

OP replies (offlist):

> BIOS settings are fine, the system had booted a few times already,
> without a problem. Since
> this issue I have tried completely removing the RAID array from the
> boot sequence but
> somehow GRUB seems to find it and assign it to sda... which I thought
> wasn't possible as
> GRUB supposedly assigns logical naming based on the boot order...
> guess there is some
> magic in the code somewhere.

Then check /boot/grub/device.map to make sure the proper devices are
mapped to the proper grub device names. Grub isn't assigning any names
to anything, it is simply using what the BIOS reports following POST,
and there is *no* "magic code" anywhere.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells