[opensuse] Interesting Boot Problem
  • From: Stuart Knock <s.knock@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:03:17 +1100
I've just installed openSuSE 10.2, everything went fine, all hardware was identified,
my primary hard drive mapped to sda, my ARECA raid neatly mapped to sdb, all
was right in the world... Then, for some reason, today when I rebooted the system
my primary drive mapped to sdb and my raid array mapped to sda... I've changed
nothing since the last boot except trivial stuff like adding user accounts etc. Naturally the
boot process now fails as it can't mount the root file system, as it's looking for it
on sda2 which as I said now points to my big empty raid array. Several hours of web
searching has left me with the impression that I should be able to force the physical
devices (some sort of BIOS naming) to map to a static logical device (sda...), but
I'm not sure what files to edit and what the syntax would be??? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.