Re: [opensuse] umask
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:21:16 -0500
On Wed January 31 2007 13:52, David Mayr wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2007 19:16 schrieb Charles philip Chan:
> > On 31 Jan 2007, evan.ingram@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me where i set a umask permanently. Websites ive
> > > looked at point towards .profile or .login but i cant find anything
> > > like this. I'm running 10.0.
> >
> > (1) System wide: /etc/profile.local
> >
> > (2) per user: ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile
>
> (3) per filesystem: set "umask=value" in /etc/fstab
>
> from "man fstab":
>
> # umask=value
> # Set the umask (the bitmask of the permissions that are not
> present). # The default is the umask of the current process. The
> value is # given in octal.

These answers are great for local native *nix filesystems but the OP inquired
about providing local network clients equal u+g rw ("shared") access to an
nfs mounted "folder" without specifying what kind of filesystem that "folder"
is stored in, who does the mounting at either end, when that occurs or even
how... :-/ That's why I pointed him to Google with a tested search
phrase. :-)

Carl