Re: [opensuse] device.map - Darryl/Carl/Boyd
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:13:09 -0600
On 2007-01-31 08:14, charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> <snip>
>
> This is the output when I did the grub --device-map=device.map command:
> (fd0) /dev/fd0
> (hd0) /dev/sda
> (hd1) /dev/sdb
> (hd2) /dev/sdc
> (hd3) /dev/sdd
> It looks good except I don't have a floppy and I haven't tested
> anything and I can't because I'm running late as it is. :-(
That is just fine. You may not have a floppy drive installed, but you
probably have a controller, and that might be the reason a floppy is
listed. It doesn't really matter (you can even remove that line if you
wish).

With this and your /etc/fstab, it is possible to rebuild grub's
menu.lst. Your root device is /dev/sda8, and /boot is on it (ie. not a
separate partition). In grub, this is (hd0,7). Thus

gfxmenu (/dev/sda,7)/boot/message

should read

gfxmenu (hd0,7)/boot/message

(I missed just how that original line got that way in the first place.
Did you read it somewhere? Whoever suggested that notation is out of his
tree.)

Curiously, your Windows section in menu.lst is OK. However, the "root"
command in both openSuSE sections is wrong. It should read:

root (hd0,7)

The kernel options are correct insofar as partition references are
concerned (ie. the root= and resume= options).

It is possible that the grub MBR contains incorrect offsets because of
these errors. However, correct menu.lst only and see if you can boot; we
can re-install the grub boot record later, if that proves to be necessary.

The only other possible source of a problem is a missing or incorrect
stage 1.5 file embedded in the grub MBR. We'll check that if the above
corrections do not work.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells