Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 22:31:54 +0100
Dave Howorth wrote:
Sandy Drobic wrote:
Dave Howorth wrote:
I've attached a complete message. I can only see 7-bit characters and
the only control characters I can see are TAB and NL. I really hope you
can see something else, because I'm going mad!
I can't see anything though it doesn't mean there wasn't anything in it
befor you decided to attach it. For example, in you mail there are not
tabs any more, they are replaced with spaces.

I'm subscribed to this list at home as well, and the file that arrived
there still had the tabs, so I suspect it did when it arrived at your
site too :P The only place they occur is in the Received header lines.

Okay, I didn't check the header lines, only the body. I doubt that the Received lines were produced as output of the program, so I didn't check them. (^-^)

I see, a man of principles. In that case you might want to investigate
the programs that are called in cron. cron does not control what these
programs write to standard out, so it is reasonable to assume that some
programs will produce output that causes nail to regard the text as not
ascii7.

As well as the principle, I want to eliminate a potential bug. This was
working fine for a long time and has suddenly broken, apparently of its
own accord. So I want to find out what has really changed in case it is
having some other undesirable effect.

I suspect that the programs you are calling have changed. Or are you using some kind of portable script that hasn't changed during upgrades? Another possibility is the data that is processed by the program has changed.

/usr/lib/cron/run-crons uses temporary files to cache the output from
the scripts that it runs. I've hacked it so it doesn't delete them
afterwards. Tomorrow morning, I should be able to see exactly what was
produced by the scripts before it gets mangled by the mail system.

That would be very interesting to know. Please post your findings tomorrow. (^-^)

--
Sandy

List replies only please!