Re: [opensuse] Still trying to get DVD to work
  • From: russbucket <russbucket@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:25:16 -0800
On Tuesday January 30 2007 01:59, Niels Øtergaard Kjær wrote:
> Stevens wrote:
> > On Monday 29 January 2007 11:10, russbucket wrote:
>
> Have the same problem with the DVD-drive not working as Fred.
>
> In an earlier mail Russ writes:
> > Mine is still working OK. I just checked permissions on /dev/dvdrecorder
> > and dvd, they are lrwxrwxrwx
>
> On my DVD-icon I only have lrw-rw----+ permissions
>

> and /media/dvdrecorder drwxr-xr-x.
>
> my dir /media is emty and no dvdrecorder at all
On my system my /media director was empty also. I created the directory
dvdrecorder myself. It was after that the the mentioned hal updates things
began to work. It may have been me creating the dvdrecorder directory that
did it. I know in 10.0 I had a problem and the solution was create the
directory manually.

> So which parts of Russ' suse10.2 is activated since he has more
> permissions than I have, seen with mouse over the dvd icon.
I looked at the permissions from a console as root since I was never getting
the icon. Somewhere I read in my searching to solve this, that dvdrecorder
direcroty must be in /media. When I install dvd in drive the contents of the
dvd are visible in /media/dvdrecorder and also a konqueror session opens with
the contents.

> what is my suse10.2 missing since there are no dvdrecorder ? Rhus have
> x xr wx permissions extra.
I also assigned the permisions as the same as I had in 10.0. They may be an
over kill. but it works!

> well just wonder since Fred have used quite some time studying logs ?
>
> Niels
You may want to try creating dvdrecorder in /media and see if it will then
work.

Hope this can be of some help.

--
Russ