Re: [opensuse] Still trying to get DVD to work
  • From: Stevens <fred00sandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:27:29 -0600
On Tuesday 30 January 2007 07:33, Hans van der Merwe wrote:

> Sorry, havent really followed this thread, but have you posted some
> debug info yet.
> /var/log/messages (last part, and after you have inserted the disk)

Yes, Hans, I have. The answer is: nothing. Zip, nil, nada. There is
absolutely no entry in /var/log/messages when a dvd is inserted. However,
the system does recognize, automatically mount and put a log entry each
time I insert a cd into the drive.

Yes, the dvd drive works very well with my Suse 9.1 and WinXP in this box.

Yes, I can manually mount a data dvd (mount /dev/hdc /media/dvd)

Yes, I think that this problem is a Suse killer for me if it can't be
fixed.

Later today (GMT -6 hours here, so maybe tomorrow for you), I will swap dvd
drives to satisfy my curiosity about if this is a hardware compatability
issue. If it is (which I kinda doubt, but it has to be considered) then it
would point a finger at some bad coding.

Fred