[opensuse] possibility to define maximum per-user cpu share?
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:39:13 +0800
It's easy to google if something can be done, but not so easy to google
out wheather if something cannot be done so here can some guru please
let me know if I can define maximum per-user cpu share?

I got this question because I have a X Terminal Server (x client in X
terminology) which 10 people connect to it through X terminals.
Sometimes one user access a flashy website and firefox took 100% percent
of CPU resource, slowing everyone down. So I'd like to configure SuSE to
give any user not more than 80% of full cpu resource, or automatically
use 'nice' to turn down the priority of the proces that sucks CPU
resource most. I have checked /etc/security/limits.conf and cannot find
an option that can do this.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best Regards

Zhang Weiwu