Re: [opensuse] (incomplete) list of possibilities (and impossibilities) to play mp3 on SuSE 10.2
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:15:52 +0800
在 2007-01-30二的 09:39 +0100,jdd写道:
> Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> > I think I have called enough attention (and created a lot of confusion)
>
> I noticed that if the installation of openSUSE is pretty easy, there
> are "post install" operation not so well documented and very usefull.
>
> So I wrote this page:
>
> http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_and_post_installation
>
> Not being english native speaking, I have some difficulties, so feel
> free, of course, to fix it.
>
> it needs also to be linked from relevant wiki pages, feel free to do.

This is a very very helpful approach. I thank you very much for what you
have done. There is still a question in my head, maybe I am stupid:

There is a link in your page and it linke to a page explains issue
related to restricted formats, I see a warning there:

Do not add external links to software packages that contain
illegal software. Since openSUSE is sponsored by Novell, this
means "illegal" in any jurisdiction that Novell carries on
business.

Here I have a question for people who might understand law better than
me. What is the word 'illegal' mean actually to me? I live in China for
25 years, this piece of land never made the concept of illegal software
very clear. Is mad library illegal? I'd like to say this is perfectly
legal here because I don't think there is an mp3 patent in China.
Reverse engineer is also perfectly legal here (welcome to China!). So, I
work on this wiki page and add a link to a page introducing how to
enable mp3 on Novell using mad and lame and all mp3 decode library I
know. So I should ignore this warning, right?

Well there might be a better solution than understanding the warning the
Chinese way, that is when I have found all solutions I can go enrich
this page:
http://opensuse-community.org/Restricted_Formats/10.2
Which seems do not have a warning like that. Next job is to make sure
the page have good keywords and google rank so everyone can find it
easily. I'd like to make a Chinese version of that page too. This is the
least I can do.

For other ways, like recommending Novell to put non-oss the default
repository and equip as much players as possible to use helix for mp3
engine which is legal, is what I cannot do. Maybe the community can
help...