  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 00:12:48 -0900
On Monday 29 January 2007, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Monday 2007-01-29 at 19:18 -0800, Robert Smits wrote:
>
> > I'd love it if there were a way to convert already not-so-great audio files
> > from .mp3 to .ogg without incurring further degradation, but I don't know how
> > to do that.
>
> AFAIK, itsn't possible. Not even in theory.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos E. R.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the loss involved in mp3
format was suffered in the encoding. Playback is 100% faithful to the
encoded file (not the original), and nothing more is lost in playback.

There should be no loss (as I understand it) in converting from
mp3 to wav. So one could run the command:
sox some.mp3 some.wav
and expect lossless conversion, no?

Now for encoding the wav into ogg, sox might not be the best choice
because the maximum bitrate it can muster is 128, but there are
other encoders, and perhaps 128 is enough or "not so great"
audio files that Robert mentions.

The question then becomes one of how much fidelity will you lose in
the encoding to ogg. If some Ogg encoders offer a near perfect encoding setting,
you could get close enough that you may not be able to hear the
difference, even though you would know some loss had occurred.

In fact, with the simple command line
sox some.mp3 some.ogg
(dispensing with the intermediate wav file) does a good enough job
that my old ears can't detect any difference even with studio quality
headphones on my decidedly non-studio quality ears.

--
John Andersen