  • From: Robert Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:18:43 -0800
On Sunday 28 January 2007 21:47, Bryan S. Tyson wrote:
> > Packman is a repository made by home users for home users. With the
> > current legal situation, I suspect it's as close as you will get
>
> STOP USING MP3! USE OGG!

It's not as simple as just switching from one format to another. I already
have 65-70 GB of old time radio files, for example. Most of these have only
been made available in .mp3 format. I play them on my palm, in my car, and on
my computers.

I'd love it if there were a way to convert already not-so-great audio files
from .mp3 to .ogg without incurring further degradation, but I don't know how
to do that.

Even if I converted them, then I could not play them in my car radio, a Sony
which only supported cd and .mp3 formats, nor on my Palm which I use out of
the car. Why would I do that?

I'd certainly prefer to have been able to purchase a car radio in this town
that plays .ogg, but I couldn't find one when I bought my car five years ago.

--
Bob Smits bob@xxxxxxxxx

In most countries selling harmful things like drugs is punishable.
Then how come people can sell Microsoft software and go unpunished?
--Hasse Skrifvars