Re: [opensuse] Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project
  • From: "Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:42:14 -0600
John Andersen wrote:
On Monday 29 January 2007, Phil Knirsch wrote:
Hello everyone.

We've recently started working on a project called Linux Hardware Compatibility
Project or in short LHCP. Goals are:

* Provide a list of working hardware for people wanting to buy a new computer
* Provide an idea on what hardware our/your distribution in run on
* Provide a list of hardware we need to improve support for
* Provide an interface to all above that allows simple and complicated queries
* Get the user a list of thing that should work and a way to test that
* Tell the user how good his hardware is supported

There have been several Hardware Compatibility lists from vendors and
other projects in the past, but most of them were limited in one
aspect or another - so we start our own.

To achive this we are building a modular framework to generate, collect, submit
and analyze information about all components of systems running Linux
and how well each component works.

The project is currently in it's infancy, but following the typical pragmatic
approach of open source projects ("Release early, release often!") we've
decided to already officially announce it.

Current status is that the basic GUI application for testing is up and running
with some test modules. We're now in the process of writing the first real
data collection and test modules and are currently starting to design the
server end of the side.

The home page of the project can be found here:

https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/LHCP

If you want to take a look at the current source code you can checked it out
using Mercurial in read only mode like this:

hg clone http://hg.fedoraproject.org/hg/hosted/LHCP

For development discussions a mailing list has been set up here:

Although the project is hosted under Fedora we're aiming it to be very
distribution independant, so supporting other distributions should be easy to
do. We have some basic requirements on what is needed on the system for it to
simply work, but a lot of things will be optional.

Happy hacking,

Read ya, Phil & Fabi

This sounds interesting. I wonder if more momentum might be gained
by working with all those other collections in your links section to provide bi-directional cross-pollination of this information so that a report (good or bad) posted anywhere will be a) checked for duplication, b) propagated to all concerned.

Fantastic! I have tried to find on the Novell opensuse site a list of WiFi pcmcia devices that work with SuSE and have come up with nothing.

--
Best regards,

Dennis J. Tuchler
University City, Missouri 63130