Re: [opensuse-offtopic] Re: [opensuse] a user call for attention on SuSE's mp3 support issue
  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 13:38:25 -0800
> On 29 Jan 2007, kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I wonder then how is it MP3 is a standard. Aren't standards open by
> > default?
>
> The technical details are out in the open. MP3 is an ISO standard,
> however the iso have no requirements that the standard must be patent
> free or that the patent holder can't "extort" royalties. MP3 is a
> typical bait and switch scam:
>
> (1) Allow people to use it for free.
>
> (2) Charge royalties when it is entrenched.
>
> This page is an interesting read:
>
> http://www.mp3-tech.org/patents.html

Ahh, thank you:

"a lot of people are working on the development of each MPEG standard. But
they are all working for companies paying them. It is because this kind of
algorithmic research needs a high level of knowledge and a lot of time (in
most of the cases it is a full-time job). So the work done by those people is
property of their respective employers."

It makes sense, then, that Frauenhofer and/or Thomson would want to recoup
their costs.

I had ASSumed that a standard was open and free, otherwise it wouldn't be a
"standard" such as A4 paper or ISO 100 film.

--
kai

closing the doors that surround me
so no one will ever penetrate
complete my retreat just to wait for the day
that never comes so i will laugh alone