Re: [opensuse] cron job email attachment.bin
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:19:14 +0100
If there are characters in the mail not covered by ascii7 mail is
automatically send as "application/octet-stream". This might happen if
you have file names with strange characters.
Good idea. But there's nothing greater than 122 ('z') in attachment.bin.
Well, something is in your backup result that causes nail not to see the
text as ascii7.

I've attached a complete message. I can only see 7-bit characters and
the only control characters I can see are TAB and NL. I really hope you
can see something else, because I'm going mad!

I can't see anything though it doesn't mean there wasn't anything in it befor you decided to attach it. For example, in you mail there are not tabs any more, they are replaced with spaces.

>> Instead of directly mailing the output you could save it into a file
and
use mime::lite to send it.
Sorry, it's not me that's mailing this. It's cron.
Then change your script to use mime::lite to send the report.

I don't want to seem ungrateful but I'd rather not do this. It's just
papering over the cracks. There's no good reason why cron shouldn't
carry on mailing these messages as text exactly as it has done for ages.
I want to find the cause of the current problem, not just mask its effect.

I see, a man of principles. In that case you might want to investigate the programs that are called in cron. cron does not control what these programs write to standard out, so it is reasonable to assume that some programs will produce output that causes nail to regard the text as not ascii7.

I had the same problem a year ago when I set up cron to update antivir. I finally gave in and ran the output through "tr" to replace the characters causing nail to attach the text as a binary.

Someone more savvy might see a way, but at least I can't tell you how cron should be able to control, what kind of characters the called programs write to standard out. Though I strongly suspect that it is simply not possible.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!