  • From: Kai Ponte <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:45:53 -0800
(As this is digressing, I'm sending it to the OT list - hope it makes it
there...)

On Sunday 28 January 2007 12:55, Charles philip Chan wrote:
> Thers is nowhere on http://www.mp3licensing.com/ that states that free
> software is excluded. Here are the rates:
>
> http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Very interesting, Charles.

I wonder then how is it MP3 is a standard. Aren't standards open by default?

Here is (PDF) the reference document for the standard:

http://le-hacker.org/hacks/mpeg-drafts/11172-3.pdf

and yet here is the list of (bogus) patents held by Thompson for the
mpeg2/layer3 playback:

http://www.mp3licensing.com/patents/

It would seem that - since several organizations were involved in funding
MPEG2 layer 2 and 3, that they should all be entitled to use the resulting
technology however and whenever they want.
--
kai

closing the doors that surround me
so no one will ever penetrate
complete my retreat just to wait for the day
that never comes so i will laugh alone