[opensuse] enable 3d -- disabled keyboard???
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:58:29 -0600
SLED 10

The story of how I got here is below. What is happening is this: when
the system boots, I can use the keyboard to select the regular SLED OS
choice, or the "safe" one, but once it gets to the login screen, the
keyboard does not seem to work. I cannot type my user name into the
username field. The mouse works, I can choose session properties, etc
... but I cannot login.

How do I go about fixing this?

the story:
I've actually been falling in love with this os, especially after
recently getting dvd stuff working recently. So I thought I'd play
some bzflag with a friend. It requires 3d support to be activated
(which I know works on this hardware, I have enabled both it and
desktop effects on an identical machine).

from control center, I went to "desktop effects' and clicked to enable
3d accceleartion. Nothing seemed to happen, and bzflag still saw that
3d support was missing. So, I then went to :graphics card and monitor"
in control center and there was another check box having to do with 3d
support -- so, I enabled it.

When trying to exit, it said I should test ... so, I did. The test
"failed", but somehow the way the error was worded it sounded more
like loading the test protocol failed, so, (perhaps stupodly, huh??) I
proceeded anyway. After a reboot, this is where I am (see above).

I wish there were a "last known good" boot option!

Peter