Re: [opensuse] VMware - vmnet
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:18:10 -0900
On Sunday 28 January 2007, riccardo35@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sun 28 Jan 2007 20:32, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 January 2007, riccardo35@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > when setting up Ethernet Card, this seems to screw-up the DNS
> > > look-up of WVdial
> > >
> > > - is it possible that vmnet virtual ethernet interferes with the
> > > functions of eth0 ?
> > >

> > > friendly greetings to openSuSErs
> >
> > First, how is vmnet involved? Is your suse machine a GUEST virtual
> > machine or a HOST (physical) machine?
> >
> > If it is the host, it normally brings up this interface early, before
> > you set up any dial connection. The dial connection should override
> > any settings of dns once it is established.
> _______________
>
> thanks - Windows2000 runs as VMware guest on Host SuSE 10.1
>
> I wondered if vmnet virtual ethernet might have something to do with
> this :-
>
> Trying to setup ADSL with a new ADSL Service
> Provider using Thomson Speedtouch 536
>
> . . . when I return, defeated, to Dial-Up my current ISP with WVDial, I
> am confronted with :
>
> DNS failure
>

> - so I look at /etc/resolv.conf - and then look
> at /etc/ppp/resolv.conf [ which needed putting back to old dialup ISP,
>
> . . . STILL, am getting "DNS failure"
>
> - WHERE please should I look for the problem-file, probably somewhere
> in /etc/

Well, I use VMware in the same sort of setup, with 9.3 10.1 and 10.2
and I also occasionally use dialup when traveling.
I have not had this problem.

You say you looked at /etc/resolve.conf but you didn't say
what you found there. Did you see the proper name servers?

If not, It sounds like the settings in Yast are not correct
with regard to dialup (and perhaps also the ADSL setup) to
specify that dns should be supplied by the dhcp process.

If you did see the proper ones, then you may have to set yast
to tell it to modify the routes when making a connection. Type
route in a shell as root to see if the routing makes sense.

--
John Andersen