  • From: Tom Patton <thpnalb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:04:33 -0700
On Sun, 2007-01-28 at 13:49 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 13:15:49 PM +0100, jdd (jdd@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>

> Check question "How is the MPEG-4 Visual Patent Portfolio License
> organized?" at http://www.mpegla.com/m4v/m4v-faq.cfm
>
> What it says in plain english is that if you put some MPEG4 DIY movie
> of your own holidays on your own web page together with Google ads,
> you *have* to pass some of that revenue as royalties to the
> consortium.

This arguement of royalty will not be settled here...or perhaps
anywhere. On one hand, they have a right to revenue from their product,
and in this case, I guess you can use it free if YOU don't receive
anything by their product (file format). So in a sense, we are much
better off than in the old days...when EVERYONE had to buy the celuloid
strip from KODAK...?

Tom