  • From: "Charles philip Chan" <cpchan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:55:54 -0500
On 28 Jan 2007, jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> There are dozens of free software mp3 encoders/decoders in existance

This may be true, but are they legal it all countries? Even the Lame
team have to skirt around the issue by billing it as educational code
and do not provide binary downloads on their site:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/about.php

> and none of them have ever been contacted by these people about
> a license. Ever.

BladeEnc got into trouble:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/06/01/1826246&mode=thread

This is a quote from the BladeEnc download page:

,----
`----

> Only organizations SELLING software that includes
> mp3 support (Such as Real) have to pay. Do you SERIOUSLY suggest
> that Real in paying 2% on every copy of realplayer GIVEN AWAY?

Thers is nowhere on http://www.mp3licensing.com/ that states that free
software is excluded. Here are the rates:

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Charles

--
"MSDOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
of careful development."