  • From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:12:46 +0100
On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 14:10:42 PM +0100, jdd (jdd@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> it's just the other way round. I don't look at the content (I own it)
> but at the file format.
>
> spreading pdf is perfectly legal, spreading mp3's (and probably divx)
> is not
>
> but the fact is it's done, massively, by big companies. Is nobody
> sue them, the fordidness become pretty weak :-)

No, it's done by people through the service of those companies. This
is the difference. If somebody steals a car and drives it through an
highway to rob a bank, do the bank or the police go after the highway
company or the car maker?

See here, for example:
http://picker.typepad.com/legal_infrastructure_of_b/2006/10/youtube_and_cop.html

if you post on youtube something which is illegal for any reason,
youtube only has to take it offline. The actual suit, when it happens,
is always against who _did_ the "wrong thing".

Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73