  • From: "M. Fioretti" <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 13:11:12 +0100
On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 11:06:31 AM +0100, jdd (jdd@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> the rising of more and more web sites like myspace or youtube that
> spreads all over the world music and videos, on a completely illegal
> maner, it's right, makes it very difficult now to ask for mp3
> privacy.

No. Why do you say so? How music and video (="content") are spread and
licensed has _nothing_ to do with how the *software* to play them is
distributed and licensed. In both ways.

If all MP3 and MP4 codecs, algorithms, implementations, became GPL
tomorrow it would still be illegal to upload some Beatles album on a
public server for everybody to download. Regardless of the encoding
format.

If all Beatles albums became public domain tomorrow and were put in
MP3 format on a public server for everybody to download, it would
still be illegal for OpenSuse or any other Free SW distribution made
with the same criteria to be shipped and distributed with a fylly
working MP3 decoder.

> Not than this can change the Novells position, but if the above web
> sites are not sued and closed very soon (and I don't see this likely
> to happen), the mp3 contenders will have a very difficult position.

No again. This is like saying that, if an artist doesn't want to paid
for his or her music, this puts the makers of DVD players in a very
difficult position. These are two completely separate issues.

Ciao,
Marco

--
The right way to make everybody love Free Standards and Free Software:
http://digifreedom.net/node/73