Re: [opensuse] "My Computer" desktop application cpu details incorrect
  • From: Aveek Bhattacharya <aveekbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:34:02 +0530
Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Don't worry about your CPU. All modern CPUs (Athlon 64, Pentium 4,
> Core 2, ...) can enter power-saving features, which lowers their speed
> automatically when idle.
>
> If you put some heavy task on tham, they will run full-speed.
>
> There are utilities that can measure speed accurately (under Windows)
> in Real-Time, but I don't know such utilities under Linux.

Hello all,

A simple command is:
watch -n 5 grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
or with powersaved running (in Alexey's case, it is running)
watch -n 5 powersave -r

KPowersave also shows real-time CPU speed, which it gets from
powersaved. (Does powersaved use information from /proc?) The sysinfo
KIO slave (which is 'My Computer') uses /proc directly.

--
Regards,
Aveek Bhattacharya

DITTISHAM (n.)
Any music you hear on the radio to which you have to listen very
carefully to determine whether it is an advertising jingle or a
bona fide record.

Douglas Adams - The Meaning of Liff