[opensuse] how to configure grub to show its menu through a serial console?
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 01:26:26 +0800
Hello. Maybe a stupid question because I only started trying to
configure a serial terminal to access a headless SuSE 10.2 server.

I need to be able to select from grub boot menu from serial console, not
going to the real host for this. I was following this guide (very
detailed and nice written guide I think)
https://secure-support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/584/3456486_f.SAL_Public.html

I configured serial console by folling that guide, everything works
except only one thing, the boot menu is still displayed on the SuSE
server (not on my serial terminal). (After that everything is on serial
line).

According to the guide adding these lines to menu.lst should work:
serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
terminal --timeout=15 serial console

And I tripple checked I do have this in my menu.lst. I am going to dig
into grub document for this, but drop a message on the list too in case
someone happen to know if I have done it wrong. Thanks a lot in advance!

Here is my menu.lst

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on 四 1月 25 17:35:46 CST 2007
default 0
timeout 5
gfxmenu (hd0,1)/boot/message
##YaST - activate
serial --unit=0 --speed=115200
terminal --lines=37 serial

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title openSUSE 10.2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/hdb2
resume=/dev/hdb1 splash=silent showopts vmalloc=256M
console=ttyS0,115200
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/hdb2 vga=0x314
resume=/dev/hdb1 splash=silent showopts vmalloc=196M fbcon=map:4
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name:
failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 10.2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.2-34-default root=/dev/hdb2 vga=normal
showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume nosmp noapic maxcpus=0
edd=off 3
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.18.2-34-default