Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:43:26 -0600
Kenneth Schneider wrote:

>> more.
>>

>>> I'm just shooting in the dark here, but....................
>>>
>>> When you "clone the MAC Address" what are you actually doing?
>>>
>> I thought I had all of this stuff figured out, but now I'm not so sure.
>> However, that being said, I think that simply means you're taking the mac
>> address of some other device and pretending to be that device. My router
>> has place where I can select this option and, if I do, it opens up a box
>> that has a mac address already in it, which I assume is the mac address of
>> the router. If I wanted to, I could simply key in my computer's mac address
>> and, in effect, pretend to be the computer. If your ISP has only authorized
>> your computer's mac address, this would let the router step in between the
>> computer and the ISP and the ISP wouldn't know the difference, since you
>> have "cloned" the mac address of the computer, which is what the ISP (modem)
>> is expecting. I probably have this all wrong, but I think that's the idea.
>>

> Actually you have it entirely correct.

I asked a couple more questions. Tracie was the one actually talking to
our ISP and doing the work. She said it was to clone the MAC address
from the modem into the router. Something about improving communication
between the two and sharing the bandwidth over the home network.

--

(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh