Re: [opensuse] display size
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:00:33 -0500
On 2007/01/25 15:11 (GMT+0100) Istvan Gabor apparently typed:

> I've read that the look of fonts depends on how display size
> and resolution is set for X.
> Currently my xorg.conf setup is this:

> Section "Monitor"
> Option "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"
> DisplaySize 310 230

> When I query xdpyinfo I get these values:

> xdpyinfo|grep dimens
> dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (313x232 millimeters)
> xdpyinfo|grep resol
> resolution: 83x84 dots per inch

> I am confused why the dimensions are different in the
> xorg.conf file and given by xdpynifo.
> Which one is the real value and how can I set it?

They're both real, only differently rounded. For some values of x and y
in xorg.conf's DiplaySize they will match.

I'd like to suggest that if nice fonts matter to you, that you at least
test, if not switch to permanently, either:

1-choose a display resolution that calculates as close as possible to
exactly 96 DPI for your display (only if your display is not a flat
panel, otherwise stick to the flat panel's native resolution), or

2-choose the highest display resolution your display supports for your
choice of color depth. This is not always the same as the highest
resolution your monitor's specs claim. Often, maybe typically, the real
maximum is significantly higher. I have 17" Sony and 19" Dell (made by
Sony) displays that claim 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 respective maximums.
Both in fact will do 2048x1536, even though the display's dot pitch
doesn't actually resolve to that level. When choosing an artificially
high resolution in order to maximize font quality, you can compensate
for the shrinkage of screen object font sizes by setting an artificially
high DPI. I normally run mine ~20% high and set it via DisplaySize. You
can pick values to try this with from
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi.html and
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/tmp/DisplaySize .
--
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409