Re: [opensuse] display size
  • From: M Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:31:12 -0600
On Thursday 25 January 2007 08:11, Istvan Gabor wrote:
> I've read that the look of fonts depends on how display size
> and resolution is set for X.
Yup.
> Currently my xorg.conf setup is this:
> Section "Monitor"
>   Option       "CalcAlgorithm" "XServerPool"
>   DisplaySize  310 230
> xdpyinfo|grep dimens
>   dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (313x232 millimeters)
> xdpyinfo|grep resol
>   resolution:    83x84 dots per inch
>
> I am confused why the dimensions are different in the
> xorg.conf file and given by xdpynifo.
Often the configuration utility cannot determine the exact DisplaySize... so
its approximate... like 310x230. This measurement is the actual viewing size
in mm. (You can measure it with a millimeter ruler if you like). The dots per
inch is a conversion on the physical resolution of the monitor. Doing the
math on your pixels vs dots per inch you have a 15" monitor. Probably the
313x232 is correct... and you just need to specify that setting in xorg.conf.
But I would measure the actual display area with a mm scale first. Of course
you can use SaX to set the value or you can edit xorg.conf yourself with vi.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris <><