Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:31:05 -0900
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 08:47, Greg Wallace wrote:
> Apparently, that's the way mine works.  I had turned the old router on and
> off a dozen times without re-booting the modem.  However, switching in the
> new router (with a new mac address) wouldn't work with out re-booting the
> modem.  I've been speculating as to why the modem needs to capture that mac
> address.

The other possibility is that the modem is really dumb about negotiation
and the new router was different than the old in that respect. Most
cable modems auto-negotiate not only between 10/100 and Half/Full duplex
but also Crossover/Straight cabling.

I've pulled cat five out of the back of a computer (which expects straight
cabling) and plugged it into an uplink port of a router (which expects
crossover) and had it fail exactly as you saw. A power reset on
the cable modem fixed this.

--
John Andersen