Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: Jack Malone <jmalone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:27:14 -0600
> The modem has only one output, but that output can be attached to a
> switch and multiple routers from there and/or the routers daisy
> chained.
>
> I don't understand "modem would normally only talk to a single
> router?".

I suspect cable modems do that, to prevent people from getting more IP
addresses than they're paying for.
I think that is the reasone that cox an now suddenlink does it here to keep you tied to the one or so ip's you are paying for. I too have to phone in the new mac off of a new modem when I changed them out. Have had to do that for few clients I installed new modems for. Have one client who has two modems at home an have to have both macs called in before they work.

jack