Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:03:09 -0600
James Knott wrote:
> That simply doesn't make sense. The purpose of the MAC address is to
> enable devices to communicate over the local network and nothing more.
> Also, once you've passed through a router, the original MAC is replaced
> that of the router port you're going through. Cloning a MAC makes it
> easier to replace a device in a system that's configured to work with
> only one MAC, but that's all it does.
We "cloned the MAC address in the router", or at least that was the way
it was explained. The owner of the ISP used to work for IBM somewhere in
the tech end of things. We just followed his instructions. Other than
that I have no idea what it does.

Before we did that the "speed test sites" showed one speed and
afterwards it was up considerably. Before, it was good. Now, it ROCKS!

By the way, we use Linksys routers on both ISP's. Tried a couple others
but won't use anything else now.

--

(o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
Billie Walsh