Re: [opensuse] Need Router Recommendation
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:12:45 -0500
Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> We have a wireless ISP. When we first got it set up it just wasn't as
> fast as it should be. One of his instructions was to clone the mac
> address. After that was done the service kicked butt. I'm not sure what
> it does but it made a huge difference in both the up and down speeds.
>
> We did the same thing to the satellite router and made a big improvement
> there to [ but you still have the delay time from here to orbit and back
> down. ].

That simply doesn't make sense. The purpose of the MAC address is to
enable devices to communicate over the local network and nothing more.
Also, once you've passed through a router, the original MAC is replaced
that of the router port you're going through. Cloning a MAC makes it
easier to replace a device in a system that's configured to work with
only one MAC, but that's all it does.