Re: [opensuse] svnserve
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:11:31 +0100
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 23:55, Peter Bradley wrote:
> Does anyone know what's going on, and what I need to do to get svn going
> using svnserve? Perhaps there's another log I should be looking at? Or
> perhaps I need to create an account? If so, what sort of permissions
> should it have?

Yes, you need to create the user svn. The detailed information is
in /usr/share/doc/packages/subversion/README.SuSE (most packages have a
README.SuSE with instructions on how to get things up and running)

section 2 in that file reads

2. create svn user/group for svnserve

subversion repositories can be served either via http, or via the svnserve
daemon and a special network protocol. svnserve should not run as root user.
The startup script rcsvnserve expects a user/group named 'svn', configureable
via /etc/sysconfig/svnserve.
But this user/group must be created before first use:

useradd svn
groupadd svn

You should have a look at README.SuSE, it contains more relevant information